Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Open Source doesn't have a chance.

Right now open source has no chance of winning this big battle against proprietary software. may the flames begin.

Here are my thoughts on this.

Yes, open source is good and has a lot of potential, but when the average american person does not know what in the world it is then we have a problem. I bring this to you from a recent experience that I had in my computer concepts and applications class (don't ask). Anyway they were talking about types of software. The teacher mentioned 5 types of software.

1) Business software that you buy premade
2) Custom software that is built specifically for an organization or company's needs
3) Shareware
4) Freeware
5) Free domain software

She proceeded to explain each step, but when she talked about free domain software she said that it is completely free you can take the code and edit it free of charge, but I wouldn't suggest using it because most of it isn't that great. Immediatly bells went off in my head. I asked her if by Free Domain Software she meant Open Source. I swear at the words open source I got one of the blankest "what are you talking about?" faces.

I explained that open source was software that was built in a collaborative environment among people all over the internet and the code was completely free to everyone in accordance to the gnu general public lisence. After about a 5 minute explanation she said yes that is what I am refereing to.

Now I see a problem with this. If a teacher does not know what Open Source is and doesn't teach it then how is the Open Source world going to live.

Absolutly no one in my class uses Firefox. Most have heard of it, but don't see the need to use it. They are content with IE, I must say I am too especially since I use IE7. Anyway, I mentioned that openoffice was an option instead of word, powerpoint, and excel. I told them they can get it for free and it was comparable, for the basic day to day use, as Microsofts suite. I got a response back from all the people in my class that they would rather buy Microsoft Office then use something free because they feel that if it is free then it won't be as good, or close, to something they buy, in most cases MS does make better software. But, on the big programs OSS is getting there.

I have also asked several people that use firefox who made it and most said something along the lines of. "Some company, I think mozilla." Most people think that it comes from a company that makes it, yes mozilla has a corporation, but it is OSS and not many people realize that. This is a barrier that needs to be broken through before OSS can become even more mainstream.

Also, a while back I asked a business executive what they say to people that call up and preach OSS and linux etc... There response to them is "we are not interested". When I aked why they said "because money doesn't really matter. we have a lot better reliabilty with Windows since the software that we use was built for windows and everything operates on windows. There is no reason to even consider anything else. " Needless to say i was blown away at this response because a lot of companies that switch say they do it for money reasons. My question is how many more are out there that don't care about money. Windows works for them so they don't care to switch.

Just some thoughts and observations to think about.

Buddy Lindsey

7 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger . said...

I *heart* Firefox.

Tabbed browsing is the best.

And I can't believe your professor didn't know what open source software is. Does she seem to know what she's talking about otherwise? What are her credentials?

Nice to meet ya btw.

 
At 6:03 PM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude lmao how you doing

was just browsing and saw a %20 in a URL and decided to see what your up to... I just read your latest post... thought id make a little noise.

still fighting the good ol open source vs commercial software war eh?

iv been having a grand time reading up on developments with Microsoft...

Steve Bomber throwing chairs as usual, loosing employees to google...

lol and Steve Bomber threatening to kill google. Hey i don't doubt he can, if Microsoft means to kill a company they do it... I don't particularly like google... But that's just pretty pathetic...

Wasn't Microsoft just busted for outsourcing to china earlier... bill gates getting cheap heh

the state of Massachusetts, one of Microsoft's biggest milk cows dropping Microsoft products for open office...

and Microsoft's brilliance strikes again! relying on the GPU directly to do graphics for Vista.. The system requirements are almost as bad or worse then whats required for Doom 3

Now the new version of IIS is taking pointers from free software as well, as it becomes more like Apache

Feeble attempts at their own version of the Internet i read...

Heck even starting an advertising system much like Google's.

Finally, sparkle... I have mixed feelings about it. Sounds great. But sounds like flash.

Never see innovative and original software coming from Microsoft.

Now trying to gain stock in AOL to gain foothold in their expanding monopoly.

I think the idea behind .NET is a failure. it was all kinda like a sea gull.. swooped in, made a lot of noise shits all over everything and flys away.

I hate FireFox as well... Crashes, looses your settings/favorites... not ALL web pages work in it. I see no reason to abandon IE6, it does everything right... As long as you keep it up to date like any microsoft product heh...

IE7 is becoming more like the open source/free browsers by incorporating tabbed browsing and other features.



And every day Linux grows more mature. I don't think its ready yet, but soon it may be.



But you should not take any of this personally since i know you tend to.

 
At 10:10 PM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last post and im out of here..


BusinessWeek is running an article on internal unrest at Microsoft from their own employees. 'Once the dream workplace of tech's highest achievers, it is suffering key defections to Google and elsewhere... Much of the sharpest criticism comes from within. Dozens of current and former employees are criticizing -- in BusinessWeek interviews, court testimony, and personal blogs -- the way the company operates internally.' In related news, Steve Ballmer has pledged to make changes inside Microsoft to avoid the embarrassingly long development cycle of Vista, including a 'revamping of the engineering and the processes.' Is it too late?"



We live in a good time lol... Microsoft gets hit blow by blow, maybe in our life time the monopoly will fall as people start to realise whats happening.

or maybe not.. but i cant wait to see what happens next!

ttyl

 
At 4:28 PM, October 26, 2005, Anonymous business software said...

Hello Buddy Lindsey, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a post such as yours with a similar topic to what I was looking for. It often ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I tend to have a soft spot for blogs related to free website tools and /or sites that have a central theme around free website tools type items.

Once again, thank you, hope you don't mind if I visit again sometime :-)

 
At 6:19 PM, October 26, 2005, Anonymous discounts said...

Hey Buddy Lindsey
Open Source doesn't have a chance. came up in my search for free programs so I decided to check out your site and post one of the freebies that I have found. For anyone who wants their own blog this site will let you download the program to make one and it is FREE! Love free stuff. hehe You can get it at:
http://shoppercompanies.com/freeblog/ Have fun

 
At 7:18 PM, November 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey do you like free stuff? freebies or samples?

I like this blog and i found nice free email stuff on it and its good i know of a good site for free email stuff

Its number one site on the web for free email stuff

Check it out at free email stuff

 
At 12:01 AM, November 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey do you like free stuff? freebies or samples?

I like this blog and i found nice freebies web on it and its good i know of a good site for freebies web

Its number one site on the web for freebies web

Check it out at freebies web

 

Post a Comment

<< Home